[Developers] why use symlinks in arrangements directory

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at aei.mpg.de
Thu Apr 21 09:17:31 CDT 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, Thomas Radke wrote:

| Again, by switching the symlinks before a compile, I can control which
| version I use.

> just out of curiosity: how do you keep track of which version of a certain
> thorn was compiled into a configuration when you change symlinks afterwards ?

I have to remember it. :)

> Isn't that bound to cause confusion ?

Yes, if I am not careful. :)

In practice there are usually only a few thorns in my 'working set',
so it's not a problem.

If I wanted to be fancier, I could have each thorn for which I keep
multiple versions announce itself via a unique banner printed on startup
(maybe just the absolute pathname from getcwd(3)).

ciao,

--
-- Jonathan Thornburg <jthorn at aei.mpg.de>
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Gravitationsphysik (Albert-Einstein-Institut),