[Developers] CactusExternal/HDF5 is dangerous

Erik Schnetter schnetter at aei.mpg.de
Mon Apr 25 15:40:10 CDT 2005

I used CactusExternal/HDF5 to configure with HDF5, and I find that it
runs the configuration script at compile time instead of at
configuration time.  This is dangerous.  When a system administrator
installs a new version of the HDF5 library, thorn HDF5 might pick it up
and silently change which version of HDF5 the code is compiled against.
This can lead to inconsistencies that are next to impossible to detect
and which can lead to segmentation faults.

A configuration script needs to run at configuration time; the
configuration settings must stay constant at compile time.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~eschnett/