[Developers] CactusExternal/HDF5 is dangerous

Thomas Radke tradke at aei.mpg.de
Wed Apr 27 04:56:28 CDT 2005

Erik Schnetter wrote:
> I used CactusExternal/HDF5 to configure with HDF5, and I find that it
> runs the configuration script at compile time instead of at
> configuration time.  This is dangerous.  When a system administrator
> installs a new version of the HDF5 library, thorn HDF5 might pick it up
> and silently change which version of HDF5 the code is compiled against.
> This can lead to inconsistencies that are next to impossible to detect
> and which can lead to segmentation faults.
>
> A configuration script needs to run at configuration time; the
> configuration settings must stay constant at compile time.

Thorn configuration scripts listed in configuration.ccl files are run at
CST time, ie. every time the thornlist changes or a rebuild is forced.
The information added by those configuration scripts is saved in the
configuration's makefile snippets which are included when actually
compiling the thorn(s).
Why shouldn't this be enough ?

--
Cheers, Thomas.