[Developers] CactusExternal/HDF5 is dangerous

Thomas Radke tradke at aei.mpg.de
Fri Apr 29 10:41:08 CDT 2005

David Rideout wrote:
> I have been using the configuration scripts extensively, and agree with Erik.
> It seems silly for Cactus to search for library directories each time someone
> touches a .ccl file.  It would be nice if these ran only once, as Tom
> suggests, but a better solution would be to recognize that now-a-days a
> thornlist is needed at the config stage.  Would such a design change be
> reasonable, perhaps at 4.1?

I'm not sure how this should work. Thornlists may change for the same
configuration. One can start with an empty thornlist and then add
CactusExternal/HDF5 later.

>>On Friday 29 April 2005 12:43, Tom Goodale wrote:
>>
>>>Yep, the script from the thorn should remember if it has been run and
>>>pickup the previous configuration info unless a specific option is
>>>given to force it to rerun.

This sounds very complicated. All thorn writers would need to add such a
logic in their configuration.ccl files ? And what would the specific
option be to force it to reconfigure ?
If it turns out to be too expensive to run the scripts then we should
come up with a general solution.

>>Would it be possible to run the script at configuration time?  This way,
>>the configuration settings would be fixed already at configuration
>>time, so that one wouldn't have to run the CST stage to find out what
>>HDF5 library will be used; if Cactus picked up the wrong one, one would
>>have to abort the CST stage and re-configure.

Currently configuration scripts declared in a thorn's configuration.ccl
file are executed each time the CST is run (ie. the thornlist has
changed, or you run 'make <config>-rebuild').
For CactusExternal/HDF5 you will need to specify the HDF5_DIR
configuration option only once. It will generate the corresponding
configuration bindings makefile settings and _also_ add the option to
the configs/<config>/config-info file. This options file is sourced each
time the CST is rerun so it remembers your first setting and reuses that
-- it doesn't search again for an HDF5 installation. Of course, you can
override it in order to use a different HDF5_DIR.

Shouldn't this work safely ?

--
Cheers, Thomas.