[Developers] CactusExternal/HDF5 is dangerous

Thomas Radke tradke at aei.mpg.de
Fri Apr 29 13:01:23 CDT 2005

David Rideout wrote:
> On Friday 29 April 2005 11:41 am, Thomas Radke wrote:
>
>>David Rideout wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using the configuration scripts extensively, and agree with
>>>Erik. It seems silly for Cactus to search for library directories each
>>>time someone touches a .ccl file.  It would be nice if these ran only
>>>once, as Tom suggests, but a better solution would be to recognize that
>>>now-a-days a thornlist is needed at the config stage.  Would such a
>>>design change be reasonable, perhaps at 4.1?
>>
>>I'm not sure how this should work. Thornlists may change for the same
>>configuration. One can start with an empty thornlist and then add
>>CactusExternal/HDF5 later.
>

> The config stage would have to be rerun if the thornlist is modified.

But that sounds like overkill. You don't want to run the entire
configure script again just because a thorn was added/removed.

I think as much of the lib/make/extras/ stuff as possible should be
moved out into capability providing thorns, and run only when needed.

> So in general config scripts should add a line to
> configs/<config>/config-info?  I suppose this would work.

You don't need to do this yourself in your thorn's configuration.ccl.
It's done automagically by the CST (Tom, please correct me if I'm
explaining your code wrong).

--
Cheers, Thomas.