[Developers] CoordBase

David Rideout drideout at hamilton.edu
Fri Feb 18 12:52:08 CST 2005

I think that something like this has been mentioned before, but this seems
like a good context to bring it up (again?)...

It would be quite handy to have a perl script which checks and automatically
updates parameter files.  This seems to be a common problem with Cactus, that
parameter files get old and out-of-date and cease to run in a relatively
short time span.  With such a script, each time someone made a change which
would break parameter files, that person would also be responsible for
updating the parameter file updating script to account for the new changes.
The script may need to interact with the user to decide what changes to make
in some situations.  It could take arguments such as 'convert from ADM_BSSN
to BSSN_MoL' etc.  It would also need to be modular so that one can provide
for updates that are only relevant to users of a particular arrangement.

Then this script could be run on all Cactus par files and testsuites before a
release, etc.

Would this be practical?  It should greatly simplify the maintenance of
collections of par files.

Cheers,
David