[Developers] F77 versus F90 compiler

Steve White steve.white at aei.mpg.de
Fri Nov 4 12:44:03 CST 2005

OK, so I made a darwin8.2.0 known-architectures file,
and now I guess your patch is working.

There are some other errors though.  I'll work those out and submit
a separate patch.

I'm not clear though on:  will this help the problems on Psi?

On  4.11.05, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2005, at 07:49:36, Erik Schnetter wrote:

> >>That's not true.  If you look at the AIX and BlueGene known-
> >>architecture file you will see the way around this problem.
> >
> >Thanks for the pointer.  That code is... clever.  Indeed, the same
> >code is already in the darwin configuration file.  I missed the
> >point that make evaluates variables and expressions dynamically,
> >making the wrapper script superfluous.
> >
> >I'll continue from there.
>
> I think I found the problem.
>
> Cactus adds, at run time, some magic to F90FLAGS to make the compiler
> accept both fixed and free form source code.  This magic is added to
> F90FLAGS, but not to F77FLAGS.  F77FLAGS are set up at configuration
> time so that the compiler accepts fixed form source code.
>
> When we copy F90FLAGS to F77FLAGS, things break.  Cactus has to add
> its magic also to F77FLAGS.  The enclosed patch (untested) does that
> for the Darwin architecture.  It also sets F77FLAGS and F90FLAGS to
> the same value initially.  Can you test the patch?
>
> Previous statements about this being an F90 (and not F77) problem, or
> this having to do with whether the user specifies F90FLAGS or not,
> were incorrect.
>
> -erik
>
> --
> Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>
>
> My email is as private as my paper mail.  I therefore support encrypting
> and signing email messages.  Get my PGP key from www.keyserver.net.

Steve White : Programmer
Max-Planck-Institut für Gravitationsphysik      Albert-Einstein-Institut
Am Mühlenberg 1, D-14476 Golm, Germany                  +49-331-567-7625