[Developers] Re: [Cactuseinstein-cvs] DEVELOPMENT CVS "CactusEinstein/IDAxiBrillBH/src IDAxiBrillBH.F"

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Oct 4 14:25:34 CDT 2005

On Oct 4, 2005, at 14:12:04, Tom Goodale wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Erik Schnetter wrote:
>
>> Since configuring the cpp for Fortan is always a pain, and since
>> all source code has to work with the perl cpp anyway, and since
>> the perl cpp works on any platform, couldn't we just use the perl
>> cpp in all cases?  We could either make it the default, or even
>> remove the corresponding configuration options.  That would solve
>> this problem once and for all, and would also avoid our discussion
>> regarding token concatenation.
>>
>> Improvements to the perl cpp (evaluating expressions in #if) can
>> come later.
>
> I'd prefer not to force people to use the perl CPP - it's for when
> there is no decent alternative, or for generating dependencies on
> machines where there is no other way.  It is a lot slower than a C
> version.  Generally, there is no problem, apart from single quotes,
> and the gcc in non traditional mode.

It's kind of annoying to remember not to use single quotes in Fortran
comments.  People like words like "don't", and sometimes want to put
equations into comments where they use variables like x'.

Is the SR8000 the only system that has this problem?  We could then
just use the perl cpp there in the default configuration file, so
that other people's Fortran thorns don't break there.  Many TAT and
AEIThorns and AEIDevelopment thorns break with an ANSI cpp, since
they use "" inside "-delimited strings to indicate an escaped quote
character.  I've also seen people have problems with constructs like
i>1.and.2<j, where the "1." and the ".2" are parsed as numbers by an
ANSI cpp.  This requires spaces around the ".and.", which people
often omit, especially in Fortran 77 code.  Would all this break on
the SR8000?

Steve, the configuration file is from you -- did you test the physics
thorns there?