[Developers] Parameter sharing and inheritance

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Oct 20 13:01:49 CDT 2005

Hi.

Ian Hinder had a problem with parameter sharing in Cactus.  Thorns
were activated in the wrong sequence, but Cactus did not catch the
problem.  In particular, he had a thorn which shared a parameter from
MoL.  This thorn did not inherit from MoL.  The thorn was
nevertheless activated before MoL.

There seem to be two ways to solve this problem.  One, we could make
it illegal to share parameters without inheriting.  Two, we could
take parameter sharing into account when calculating inter-thorn
dependencies.  (This has nothing to do with the link list, but there
still is a dependency when activating thorns.)