[Developers] could CST error messages contain line numbers?

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at aei.mpg.de
Fri Oct 21 06:45:57 CDT 2005

[[CST error messages not giving any clue to where in what source file
the problem occurred]]

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Tom Goodale wrote:
> Unfortunately by the time these messages are produced, the CST no longer has
> the line number 8-(  In 4.1 we will move to different parsers which will
> retain this information and be able to display it, but at the moment it in
> non-trivial to maintain it.
>
> All error messages should at the very minimum report the file being
> processed

Yes!

> , and where possible should contain as much context as possible.
>
> I think many of them, 'though, don't actually print out the offending line,
> which would then allow you to search the file for that line;  if we added
> that in for the syntax errors, would suffice for the moment ?

That (plus knowing the file being processed) wouldn't solve the problems
(i.e. I wouldn't want to see the bug reports closed yet), but it would
certainly help a lot.

ciao,

--
-- Jonathan Thornburg <jthorn at aei.mpg.de>
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Gravitationsphysik (Albert-Einstein-Institut),