[Developers] Re: [Patches] Known architecture file for Darwin 8.2.0

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Oct 25 16:43:20 CDT 2005

On Oct 24, 2005, at 16:38:22, Gian Mario Manca wrote:

> I'm a Darwin 8.2.1 user.
> I have to check the patch, but I have also another problem:
>
> I use ibm compilers on my ibook and as you said in the mail "Set
> F77_WARN_FLAGS flags correctly when using F90 as F77": Cactus
> overrides the user's setting of F77 with that of F90.
>
> With this settings carpet do not compile.
> Is it possible to use different options for f77 and f90?

Unfortunately, this is at the moment not possible.  The problem is
that there are architectures where the F77 and F90 compilers are
incompatible, so that the only way to sanity (on these architectures)
is to use the same compiler for both F77 and F90 files.  Most F90
compilers know how to handle F77 files; the IBM compiler is the
exception to that rule.  It seems that using this IBM compiler relied
on an unintended loophole in Cactus.

I hope that we will have a good solution (that works on all
platforms) by the end of this week.  I'll ask Tom Goodale, who has
the most experience with strange architectures breaking if you change
the build system.

> If not, which file I have to modify to obtain this result?

After configuring, you can modify the file configs/CONFIGNAME/config-
data/make.config.defn.  It contains the settings for the compilers
and flags.  I believe that changing F77 and/or F77FLAGS in there
should do the trick.  Steve White had the same problem recently, and
this procedure solved his problem.

Good luck,