[Developers] F77 versus F90 compiler

Tom Goodale goodale at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Oct 26 08:44:08 CDT 2005

To keep things in context, the following is what I said earlier on the
cactusmaint mailinglist.

Cheers,

Tom

I think discussing it on the developers mailing list would be appropriate
anyhow.

We have two things really:

use f90 for f77 compiler, or not
use f90flags when compiling f77 with f90 compiler, or not

which lead to four possibilities.

For the first one, I am happy to use a different f77 compiler from f90
compiler if the user has specified that (the last patch to do that was
buggy so I reverted it quickly on the principle we are about to do a beta
release), and if we do sanity checking to make sure the naming conventions
are the same.  In the future we could even cope with different naming
conventions by using an enhanced function aliasing mechanism, but that is
4.x x>0.

For the latter, I think we should default to the natural flags for the
compiler (i.e. if using f90 compiler use f90 flags) unless overridden by
something knowing that the compiler is in fact an f90 compiler;  i.e. if
user specified f77 and f77 flags but we have overridden f77 with f90,
using user-supplied f77 flags MAY be erroneous.  This is obviously an
easier issue to deal with if we can honour the user's f77 choice.