[Developers] ImportHDF5: import vector field to opendx

tan2 tan2tan2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 17:50:03 CDT 2006

This is the first time I am here. Let me introduce myself. I am a scientist
at Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics (www.geodynamics.org). We
develop and maintain modeling codes for the solid earth geophysics
community. Our code is under GPL license.

Currently, we upgrade our code to write the data in HDF5 format and would
like to visualize the data under OpenDX. I have a conversion script to
convert the HDF5 file to ASCII file so that I can import it to OpenDX.
However, our users wish they can import the HDF5 data directly to OpenDX
without the conversion. So, I search through the Internet and find this
project (http://www.cactuscode.org/Visualization/openDX).

One problem I encounter is the dimension of imported field. My data is a
vector field defined on 3-D grid and is stored as 4-D array in the HDF5
file. However, the importHDF5 module will import the field as a 4-D scalar
field. Is there some way to tell importHDF5 to read the data as a 3-D vector
field? If no, will a patch to add such a feature be accepted?

PS: I've also tried with dxhdf5 project. But the project seems inactive, and
we cannot redistribute it due to license issue.

Eh Tan
Staff Scientist
Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics
2750 E. Washington Blvd. Suite 210
Pasaden, CA 91107
(626) 395-1693
http://www.geodynamics.org