[Developers] Test suite criteria

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jul 13 10:38:23 CDT 2006

The Cactus test suites check for differences using both the absolute
and the relative differences.  A test is marked as failing if either
of the differences is too large.  There was one case where the
relative error was 1e-15, but the absolute error 1e-12 (since the
value itself was about 1000), and thus the test was marked as
failing.  However, things don't get much better than a relative
difference of 1e-15.

I suggest to change the criteria from "either" to "both".  That is, a
test would fail only if both the absolute and relative differences
are too large.

Comments?