[Developers] Re: [CactusMaint] XLF on Darwin, again

Steve White steve.white at aei.mpg.de
Wed Mar 8 02:13:20 CST 2006

Erik,

On  7.03.06, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2006, at 12:52:16, Steve White wrote:
>
> >Erik,
> >
> >Sorry about this.
> >
> >I just realized there was some leftover patch on the Mac, from one
> >of our
> >past fixes I guess, that interfered with some recent updates.  When I
> >removed the patch, Cactus built.
> >
> >However, I am seeing a repeated gcc warning:
> >
> >	gcc: unrecognized option '-no-cpp-precomp'
> >
> >What's that?  It's not in the gcc manual.
>
> That is an option that was introduced by Apple in their version of
> gcc.  Since I don't know what the option does, and since it "only"
> leads to warnings, I found it safer to leave it in.

According to the OS X 10.3 Xcode release notes on GCC 3.3,
	http://developer.apple.com/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/GCC3.html
the '-no-cpp-precomp' option was removed after v. 3.1

We also find out what the flag meant.  Apple's precompiler was
"cpp-precomp", which supported precompiled headers, and evidently broke
some gnu headers.

--
Steve White : Programmer
Max-Planck-Institut für Gravitationsphysik      Albert-Einstein-Institut