[Developers] Cactus RDF: URIs

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Sep 7 11:14:17 CDT 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 11:03:11, Dylan Stark wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I would like to find out what a good naming convention would be for
> giving URIs to the different entities we will be collecting the
> metadata on, such as thorns and parameters. I know that in the RDF we
> can talk about the concept of "a thorn with a name", but it could be
> beneficial to have a URI for that concept. An example might be
>
>     http://www.cactuscode.org/thorn/WaveToy.
>
> The statement "ParameterFile activates <http://.../WaveToy>" would be
> equivalent to "ParameterFile activates the Thorn with name 'WaveToy'.

In the past, people have copied thorns from one repository to
another, creating two thorns with the name name.  While this is bad
practice, it has happened and will probably happen again.  An
additional qualifier is needed.

Cactus already has the concept of arrangements.  What about

	http://www.cactuscode.org/rdf/thorn/CactusWave/WaveToy

instead?  The "rdf" part would make sure that it does not conflict
with any web pages that people may create, and "CactusWave" is the
arrangement name.  So far, arrangement names have been unique.

Of course, thorns change with time, so even that identifier does not
have a static meaning.

Why is "http:" part of the URI?  This is the transport protocol, and
the resource should be unique without it, i.e., using e.g. "ftp:" or
"https:" instead should give the same result.