[Developers] Cactus RDF: URIs

Thomas Radke tradke at aei.mpg.de
Thu Sep 7 11:56:17 CDT 2006

Erik Schnetter wrote:
> On Sep 7, 2006, at 11:03:11, Dylan Stark wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I would like to find out what a good naming convention would be for
>> giving URIs to the different entities we will be collecting the
>> metadata on, such as thorns and parameters. I know that in the RDF we
>> can talk about the concept of "a thorn with a name", but it could be
>> beneficial to have a URI for that concept. An example might be
>>
>>     http://www.cactuscode.org/thorn/WaveToy.
>>
>> The statement "ParameterFile activates <http://.../WaveToy>" would be
>> equivalent to "ParameterFile activates the Thorn with name 'WaveToy'.
>

> In the past, people have copied thorns from one repository to  another,
> creating two thorns with the name name.  While this is bad  practice, it
> has happened and will probably happen again.  An  additional qualifier
> is needed.
>
> Cactus already has the concept of arrangements.  What about
>
>     http://www.cactuscode.org/rdf/thorn/CactusWave/WaveToy
>
> instead?  The "rdf" part would make sure that it does not conflict  with
> any web pages that people may create, and "CactusWave" is the
> arrangement name.  So far, arrangement names have been unique.
>
> Of course, thorns change with time, so even that identifier does not
> have a static meaning.

The entity (eg. 'WaveToy') that we actually want to describe is not some
anonymous entity but a very concrete one, namely the one that's being
used in a specific simulation. As Erik says, many Cactus users may use a
thorn called "WaveToy" but each one could have a  different
implementation; there are no thorn signatures to uniquely identify
thorns. So the URI referencing that entity must somehow indicate that it
belongs to a specific simulation.

Therefore we decided for the Cactus metadata management service
developed in AstroGrid that the URI prefix (ie. the unique namespace for
all metadata about that simulation) contains a unique simulation ID.
After that prefix, all other metadata is listed, basically following the
hierarchical structure you suggested (eg. "ThornList/<thorn>",
"<thorn>/<parameter>", etc.).

--
Cheers, Thomas.