[Developers] Announce API spec

Thomas Radke tradke at aei.mpg.de
Fri Sep 8 12:41:28 CDT 2006

Hi,

as I had announced earlier on this mailing list, I've been working over
the last couple weeks on a specification for a generic Cactus API to
announce simulation metadata. Attached is my first draft of it.

Like many (most?) other software developers, I had to actually write
some code first in order to come up with a spec that is practically
useful. So a prototype implementation exists, however I haven't put into
CVS yet. Before that can happen I'd like to post the spec here for
discussion and get answers specifically to the following open questions:

  1) Is it okay to call my implementation of the Announce API, as
     proposed in this spec, thorn 'Announce' ?
     There exists already a thorn of same name in the Portal arrangement.
     It provides functionality to publish metadata, but only to one
     specific type of external information service: a Cactus portal.
     Portal/Announce doesn't provide a generic API for application thorns
     to announce arbitrary user-defined runtime simulation metadata.

  2) Do the Announce user API functions need a 'severity' level argument?
     This was suggested in earlier discussions by Tom and Erik, in
     analogy to the warning level argument passed to CCTK_VWarn().
     I'm  not sure how levels would be practically used in an Announce
     context. What individual levels should be predefined ? Should the
     level argument be interpreted as a bitmask rather than an integer ?

  3) Should the Announce user API functions take an additional argument
     'CCTK_POINTER_TO_CONST cctkGH' ? It's not clear to me why announce
     callbacks would need access to a cGH structure.

 From next Monday on I'll welcome any comments and suggestions to
improve the proposed Announce API spec. Until then: Have a nice weekend!

--
Cheers, Thomas.