[Developers] [Patches] Make ADMConstraints GF public

Luca Baiotti baiotti at aei.mpg.de
Tue Sep 19 05:29:11 CDT 2006

Hi,

so, my character-comparison proposal is clearly unviable (...) and
Jonathan's, for example, is far superior.

However,

Erik Schnetter wrote:
> In that case, the numbers
>
>     0.000000000000123
>     0.000000000000456
>
> would compare different. However, if these are constraint violations,
> they should be treated as equal.

I don't understand why the above numbers should be considered equal or
their difference acceptable. Testsuites have, in my view, the aim of
1) checking whether a patch made to a code has accidentally changed
something that the patch was not supposed to change (if the patch is
supposed to change the testsuite output, then the testsuites should also
be updated by the author of the patch);
2) checking whether running on different machines (or on different
number of processors) produces different results, in which case the bug
in the code or the problem with the machine should be addressed.

Following this view, the numbers above should fail the testsuite.

> This idea is essentially a relative error, just in disguise.

As said above, you are right.

Is Jonathan's proposal being considered for implementation?

Ciao,

Luca.