[Developers] help

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Sep 27 18:38:26 CDT 2006

On Sep 27, 2006, at 17:29:58, hughwang at cct.lsu.edu wrote:

> Hi all,
>     Just wonder if anybody can provide me (or tell me where to get) an
> application example of Cactuscode. I have checked through
> cactuscode.org, but could not get much help.
>     Something like this would be ideal for me: a master processor
> reads in a 2D array (like 2X3) of characters, splices the array into
> three vectors (2X1), send each vector to a slave processor, then, the
> slave processors compare the two characters in their received vectors
> and send either 0 or 1 (the two characters equal or not) back to the
> master. Codes in C are highly appreciated.
>     This type of examples might be very helpful for people from other
> fields to use cactuscode.

Hugh,

I'm afraid we don't have an example such as you suggest in Cactus.
We usually try to avoid having a single master processor that
collects all data, since this often doesn't work when we use many
processors -- the single processor couldn't hold all the data.  In
your case, each processor would read in its own chunk of the array,
and write its own part of the result.

However, not all people use Cactus in such extreme situations.  This
would be a very nice example application for the hyperslabbing API in
Cactus.  I'll see whether I can find a student to implement this
example -- and I'd also be happy to help you myself.