[Developers] help

jtao at cct.lsu.edu jtao at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Sep 28 01:33:32 CDT 2006

Hi Hugh,

I did something very similar long time ago. I made some changes to meet
your needs just for fun. I hope it can help you in some way.

The basic idea is to define two grid functions seq1 and seq2.

As Erik pointed out in his email, each processor will read its own data and
output its own result. I don't think there is anyway to go around this on the
user's level. Just to get things started, I output the chunk for each
processor
labeled by result_Procxxx.dat.

I attached my thorn together with a dat file (under VectorReader/par) used
for testing purpose. You can easily manipulate the input function
(VectorReader_Read) to fit your needs. Some modifications are necessary if
you want to use it in production on huge files.

Also, if you want to check the output from other processors you can try
./cactus_yourexe -r vector.par to redirect the output to the main processor
to check things out.

ThornList to Compile:
---------------------
CactusPUGH/PUGH
GeneSeq/VectorReader

Parameter File to Run:
----------------------
ActiveThorns="PUGH VectorReader"
# clean up the screen
cactus::cctk_show_schedule= "no"
# no evolution
cactus::cctk_itlast       = 0
# input and output files
VectorReader::vector_file = "vector.dat"
VectorReader::resultfile_prefix = "result"
VectorReader::resultfile_postfix = ".dat"
#this should be equal to the number of rows in vector.dat
driver::global_nx         = 42
driver::ghost_size        = 0

Good luck,
Jian