[Developers] Changing the output directory at run time

Thomas Radke tradke at aei.mpg.de
Mon Apr 16 05:30:55 CDT 2007

Bela Szilagyi wrote:
> I am always in favor of steerability.
>
> Question: would non-ASCII output files be closed in case the output file path
> changes between two IO iterations?  If not, adding this feature could be
> useful.

Making IO::out_dir fully steerable is certainly doable but - for
consistency - requires changes in all I/O thorns which share this I/O
parameter. I'd rather limit necessary changes to individual thorns for
now, making their own output/checkpoint directory parameters steerable.
One could start with CarpetIOHDF5 and CarpetIOASCII.

Before implementing anything we should clearly define what should happen
when switching to a different output directory. HDF5 files will surely
be created anew. What about existing ASCII output files, should they
also be split or appended in the old outdir ? Would it suffice to make
the checkpoint directory steerable ?

--
Cheers, Thomas.