[Developers] Patch: Make complex arithmetic more efficient and convenient

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Jan 12 09:16:12 CST 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 08:59:04, schnetter at cct.lsu.edu wrote:

> For C++, define the usual arithmetic operators (+-*/ etc.) as
> inline functions calling the corresponding complex arithmetic
> functions.  This makes it possible to use complex numbers in the
> same way as real numbers, which makes it possible to instantiate
> templates for both CCTK_REAL and CCTK_COMPLEX.  This leads to much
> code reduction in Carpet.

This would, of course, be much simpler if we defined CCTK_COMPLEX to
be complex<CCTK_REAL> in C++.  Last time this was proposed there was
the fear that not all C++ compilers would implement the corresponding
part of the STL.  Does anybody know of such a C++ compiler on a
system where C++ code in Cactus is used?