[Developers] Unclear error message from test suite

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Jan 22 21:50:57 CST 2007

For the test case CarpetEvolutionMask_test, which fails because the
output files have different names, the following happens (I do not
show all output here; I show only lines relevant to kxx):

   Issuing mpirun -np 1 /Users/eschnett/Cvanilla/exe/cactus_einstein-
redshift-gcc-debug /Users/eschnett/Cvanilla/arrangements/Carpet/
CarpetEvolutionMask/test/CarpetEvolutionMask_test.par
      kxx_maximum.xg in archive but not created in test
      kxx_minimum.xg in archive but not created in test
      kxx_norm1.xg in archive but not created in test
      kxx_norm2.xg in archive but not created in test
             kxx.average.asc not in thorn archive
             kxx.count.asc not in thorn archive
             kxx.maximum.asc not in thorn archive
             kxx.minimum.asc not in thorn archive
             kxx.norm1.asc not in thorn archive
             kxx.norm2.asc not in thorn archive
             kxx.norm_inf.asc not in thorn archive
             kxx.sum.asc not in thorn archive
   Failure: 44 files compared, 38 differ, 32 differ significantly

   Files which differ strongly:
     [29] kxx_maximum.xg
     [30] kxx_minimum.xg
     [31] kxx_norm1.xg
     [32] kxx_norm2.xg
   Choose file by number or [c]ontinue [c]
    --> 32

   File kxx_norm2.xg of test CarpetEvolutionMask_test for thorn
CarpetEvolutionMask
   Choose action [l]ist, [x]graph, [y]graph, [g]nuplot, [c]ontinue [c]
    --> d

   Both versions of this file do not exist.  Please choose a
different option.

   File kxx_norm2.xg of test CarpetEvolutionMask_test for thorn
CarpetEvolutionMask
   Choose action [l]ist, [x]graph, [y]graph, [g]nuplot, [c]ontinue [c]
    --> l

Archived file: kxx_norm2.xg

"kxx v time
0.0000000000000 0.0000000000000
0.1000000000000 0.0139806363863
0.2000000000000 0.0279785541896
0.3000000000000 0.0420109309316
0.4000000000000 0.0560946961843
0.5000000000000 0.0702464750806
   File kxx_norm2.xg of test CarpetEvolutionMask_test for thorn
CarpetEvolutionMask
   Choose action [l]ist, [x]graph, [y]graph, [g]nuplot, [c]ontinue [c]
    -->

The message "Both versions of this file do not exist." is unclear.
What does it mean?  As written, it means that neither version (nor
the one in the repository nor the one just created) exists.  This is
clearly wrong.  Maybe it should read "This file was not created by
the test case"?

Also, when I listed the file, it is not clear from the output that
this file was not created.  The output actually indicates that the
file exists, but is empty.