[Developers] support gnu C/C++ compilers in cygwin

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Jan 25 10:42:58 CST 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 10:16:53, David Rideout wrote:

> Lydia Philpott has found that Cactus does not build on a fresh default
> checkout of cygwin, even with this revised known-architectures file.
> The make that ships with the current version of cygwin is broken,
> yielding errors regarding "multiple target patterns".  She found a
> solution at https://projects.coin-or.org/BuildTools/wiki/current-
> issues.
>  Additionally she had to add latex packages to get the ThornGuide to
> build.
>
> Perhaps we should have a cygwin FAQ?

There is one; it is called "README.Windows".  It begins by explaining
that you should install Cygwin to use Cactus on Windows.  The
information in there is unfortunately old; for example, it lists
versions that are known to work, but these versions are old and no
one seems to have updated them recently.  Most current developers
seem to not use Windows, but the Mac sections of the build system
have recently been polished.

Lydia, thanks for your hint regarding the make problem.  If you use
Cygwin and have additional information, do you want to help us by
updating this file?