[Developers] flush-ing stdout in cctk_vinfo

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Jan 31 11:41:19 CST 2007

On Jan 31, 2007, at 11:21:47, Bela Szilagyi wrote:

> After some hours of fooling myself (while checking stdout of
> various processes
> from the same run), I realized that a
>
> fflush(stdout);
>
> after debugging CCTK_VInfo(...) messages is crucial if one cares
> for every
> single line of output.  One of my processes hangs and I want to
> know which
> process is at what point in the source  code.
>
> The loss of output lines is there even if I request, in the
> comand line, that, output would not be buffered.
>
> Apparently the non-buffering options are implemented in a way that
> would not
> work across all systems, (e.g., peyote nodes).
>
> Can we add the "flush" to the end of the cctk_vinfo?  From what I
> understand,
> Jonathan Thornburg  has already suggested this...

We discussed this, and we decided that this would be too expensive in
general.  Instead we added a command line option "-b" which lets you
specify whether to flush never, after every line, or after every
print statement.  This is for all output, not just for CCTK_INFO.
The default setting is chosen by the operating system, probably
depending on whether the output goes to a terminal or into a file.

Here are the command line options that Cactus currently understands:

Usage: exe/cactus_bench-wavetoy-carpet [-h] [-O] [-o paramname] [-L
n] [-W n] [-E n] [-r[o|e|oe|eo]] [--logdir <dir>] [-b <no|line|full>]
[-S] [-T] [-t name] [--parameter-level <level>] [-v]
<parameter_file_name>

Valid options:
-h, --help                           : gets this help.
-O[v], --describe-all-parameters     : describes all the parameters.
                                        v makes this verbose, i.e.,
it gives
                                        a verbose description of all
parameters.
-o, --describe-parameter <paramname> : describe the given parameter.
-L, --logging-level <n>              : Sets the logging level to n.
-W, --warning-level <n>              : Sets the warning level to n.
-E, --error-level <n>                : Sets the error level to n.
-r, --redirect[o|e|oe|eo]            : Redirects standard output and/or
                                        standard error to files.
     --logdir <dir>                   : Sets the output directory for
logfiles
                                        created by the '-r' option
-b, --buffering <no|line|full>       : Set stdout buffering mode.
-S, --print-schedule                 : Print the schedule tree, then
exit.
-T, --list-thorns                    : Lists the compiled-in thorns.
-t, --test-thorn-compiled <name>     : Tests for the presence of
thorn <name>.
     --parameter-level <level>        : Sets the amount of parameter
checking,
                                        level can be strict, normal,
relaxed.
-v, --version                        : Prints the version.
-i, --ignore-next                    : Ignores the next argument.