[Developers] Problems with make -j

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Sun May 20 11:58:26 CDT 2007

Sometimes when I build a Cactus configuration with "make -j4", the "-
j4" option is ignored, and make builds sequentially.  I think this
occurs mostly when the CST stage needs to run.

Has anybody observed this as well?  Do you know what the cause could be?

Maybe related is the fact that, when configuring, Cactus picks up the
options "-fds 3,4", which are used by make to communicate between sub-
makes to ensure that no more than 4 processes are running at the same
time.  Could this maybe confuse make?