[Developers] Problems with make -j

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon May 21 16:01:11 CDT 2007

On May 21, 2007, at 14:42:16, Burkhard Zink wrote:

> Erik Schnetter wrote:
>> Sometimes when I build a Cactus configuration with "make -j4", the
>> "-j4" option is ignored, and make builds sequentially.  I think this
>> occurs mostly when the CST stage needs to run.
>>
>> Has anybody observed this as well?  Do you know what the cause
>> could be?
> Absolutely; I usually just restart make -j after the CST phase is
> completed.

I think this could be cause by the way in which Cactus builds the
executable.  It creates a file make.thornlist, then it includes that
file into the makefile to build the thorns.  That means that make has
to read the makefile twice.  Make knows how to do this, but the rules
how this are done are a bit complicated, and it apparently confuses
make, so that it doesn't do parallel builds any more.

I have committed a change which makes Cactus build the thorns in two
steps, which solved this problem for me.  Try updating the flesh
(including the main Makefile and the lib/make subdirectory).