[Developers] If clauses in schedule

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Apr 7 11:27:11 CDT 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 09:48:04, Ian Hinder wrote:
> Erik Schnetter wrote:
>> Schedule items in Cactus can have WHILE clauses, which means that
>> they
>> are executed while a certain condition are true.  I suggest to add IF
>> clauses, which would mean that they are executed only if a certain
>> condition is true.  The syntax is equivalent to WHILE clauses.
>>
>> This is different from the existing if statements, which are only
>> evaluated once at startup.  The new if clauses are evaluated every
>> time the schedule is traversed.
>
> Does this mean that the current implementation does not respect
> changes
> to steerable parameters during a simulation, when those parameters are
> used in if statements in schedule files?
>
> Your suggestion sounds like a good idea - it brings up the question of
> why it was not done like that before.  Was there a design decision
> that
> the schedule tree should be static?

The schedule is calculated in the beginning.  It actually has to be
calculated, since the dependencies have to be resolved and a correct
order be determined.  The current if statements are evaluated once
when the schedule is calculated.  This is used e.g. for choosing gauge
conditions or evolution systems.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/