[Developers] Making WaveToy use InitBase

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Feb 19 08:59:21 CST 2008

The IDScalarWave thorns currently initialise exactly two time levels.
This is inconvenient for mesh refinement: If three time levels are
needed, then Carpet has to perform an additional initialisation step
and cannot rely on the analytic solution for initial data.
Furthermore, if this is not done, the third time level remains
uninitialised, leading to problems that are very difficult to detect,
since people typically don't output past time levels.

I suggest to make IDScalarWave use the InitBase infrastructure to
detect this problem.  In particular, if InitBase specifies that only a
single time level is to be initialised, IDScalarWave should do so, and
if all time levels should be initialised, IDScalarWave should either
also do so, or abort with an error message during parameter checking.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/