[Developers] HydroBase infrastructure

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Fri Nov 7 14:14:14 CST 2008

Dear GR Hydro Developers

Tanja Bode, Roland Haas, Frank Löffler, and I have taken up again the
idea of a common HydroBase thorn.  This thorn would form a common
basis for all or most GR hydro codes in much the same way that ADMBase
is a common basis for most spacetime codes.  It would thus simplify
writing initial data or analysis methods for GR hydro, and by
explicitly providing standards defining e.g. what quantities initial
data routines must provide would also prevent certain kinds of errors.

We have designed a prototype for a HydroBase thorn and are now looking
for feedback.  You can find a snapshot of the prototype at <http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~knarf/HydroBase.tar.bz2
 >.

Our current design has the following feature details:
- a common definition for the primitive variables
- the conserved (evolved) variables are still defined by the hydro
evolution thorn
- common schedule groups for initial data, RHS calculation, boundary
conditions, etc.
- common parameters to choose the number of time levels, hydro
prolongation method, etc.
- HydroBase does not contain any source code
- initial data are supposed to be provided for the primitive variables
only
- the pressure is considered a primitive variable

We plan to extend this thorn to:
- include variables for magnetic fields
- use TmunuBase as hydro interface (instead of CalcTmunu.inc)
- provide routines calculating Tmunu from the primitive variables

We hope that HydroBase can become a community standard.  Given the
prevalence of Whisky, we kept things compatible with Whisky as much as
possible, and we estimate that it should be very easy to modify Whisky
to make use of HydroBase.  We're especially looking for feed from
developers of other GR hydro codes.

Tanja, Roland, Frank, Erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/