[Developers] improve parser for parameter files

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Thu Sep 10 21:15:35 CDT 2009

On Sep 11, 2009, at 9:40 , Baiotti Luca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would have a feature request about the parameter-file checks (so
> it is not
> strictly related to the patch, but I would like to ask anyway).
>
> When an error is detected in the parfile at runtime, each processor
> produces a
> warning. Since there may be hundreds of processors and since each
> processor parses
> and checks the same parfile, I find it useless and confusing that
> the error
> message is repeated one time per processor. I would like the error
> message
> originated from errors in the parfile to be output only once (from
> the headnode?).

Luca

What Cactus typically tries to do is to separate information on stdout
and stderr.  By default, stdout contains messages and warnings from
the root process only, whereas stderr contains only the warnings but
from all processes.  In principle, looking at the last few lines of
stdout should give you what you ask for.

However, for some strange reason, errors about parameters are only
output to stderr, forcing you to look at stderr.  Only the final error
message (telling you that the run is about to abort) is output to
stdout.  This should clearly be corrected.

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/

and signing email messages.  Get my PGP key from <http://pgp.mit.edu>.