[Developers] Close patches mailing list?

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Fri Dec 3 14:43:40 CST 2010

On 3 Dec 2010, at 19:40, Frank Loeffler wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 03, 2010 at 12:13:47PM -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
>> I think we should close the "patches" mailing list; the issue tracker
>> is a much better way to keep track of things.
>
> There is one difference: emails to patches go to the developers, new
> issues in trac only to the trac mailing list.

If we remove the patches mailing list, we would have to make TRAC the official method for handling patches for Cactus. At the moment, we have just been trying out TRAC, and it seems to be going well.

One thing I don't like about using TRAC is that it is not possible to easily interact with it by email.  While I receive comments via the trac mailing list, there are no attachments and I cannot comment by email.  From a quick google search, I don't think it is possible to do this with TRAC.  Interacting via email is very useful for when you don't have an active internet connection, for example when commuting or traveling, and it also allows you to perform local searches in your email client rather than the more cumbersome and slower web interface.

Another issue is that our current TRAC is under the "Einstein Toolkit" brand rather than the "Cactus" brand.

More generally, it is not clear to me how to divide discussion between the mailing list and the comments of a particular TRAC issue.  What do other projects do?

--
Ian Hinder
ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de