[Developers] [Simfactory] OpenMP in SimFactory

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Sat Jun 19 17:37:49 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 04:58:37PM -0500, Erik Schnetter wrote:
> We could -- if we agree that this would be useful -- add a
> check to Carpet that looks for the environment variable
> OMP_NUM_THREADS, and if it is not set, use only one thread
> per process.

Such a check could not set the number of threads - that is something
which is machine dependent and should not be set in a parameter file.
I can see that a parameter to set it to one can be useful. However,
I don't think Carpet is the right place for such a check. Carpet is not
the only code/thorn which is parallelized using OpenMP and those codes
do not necessarily have to be used with Carpet. I believe that either
Cactus itself should do that, or what I think would even be better: that
a separate thorn can handle this, distributed with Cactus.

Frank

CC to developers at cactuscode.org