[Developers] [Patches] Add consistency check to TimerReport that the number of timers is the same on all processes

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed May 12 12:19:20 CDT 2010

On May 12, 2010, at 12:13 , Ian Hinder wrote:

> It seems that it would be useful to have an "equals" reduction
> operator, to avoid the hack in this patch where I check that the
> maximum and minimum are the same.  This should probably only be used
> for integers, as doing equality tests on floating point numbers is
> usually a bad idea.  Thoughts?

The operators that Cactus offers mirror what MPI provides (efficiently).  Just "equals" would be difficult to implement, but a "minmax" operator would be possible.

I've been thinking of a single reduction operators "min-max-avg-sdv-cnt" that would be useful in many cases.  Similarly, an operator "count-maxabs-norm1-norm2" would be nice.  This way, one would have to perform only a single operation for these standard cases.  Actually combining these results into a single output file would also help...

Erik Schnetter <schnetter at cct.lsu.edu>   http://www.cct.lsu.edu/~eschnett/