[Developers] Optional dependencies

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Nov 28 15:55:28 CST 2011

Hi,

I just came across an odd issue.  I was building a configuration including PUGH (for one of the Kranc example parameter files), and when I tried to run the parameter file, I got the following error:

> Thorn LoopControl is used, but has not been activated. (Note: If a thorn has an optional dependency on LoopControl, and if LoopControl is then in your thorn list, then you are using it and need to activate it.)

I think the thorn in question is CactusNumerical/Slab.  The parameter file has to work without Carpet, i.e. without LoopControl.  This means it cannot activate LoopControl.  But this means that Slab cannot be used, and neither can Periodic, which depends on it, because doing so would not work if LoopControl was present in the configuration.  I don't think it is a good idea to have to modify parameter files depending on which other unrelated thorns might have been activated in the user's configuration.

Is there any way to use Slab in a parameter file which has to run in both configurations with and without LoopControl?

On a related note, could/should LoopControl be moved outside Carpet, for example into CactusNumerical?

--
Ian Hinder
http://numrel.aei.mpg.de/people/hinder